Monday, January 5, 2015

Bad to the Bone




I have no formal celiac diagnosis.  I recently had a doc tell me that I may have wheat sensitivity.  I have experienced "feeling really good" when I go off wheat and other grain foods.  So, do I have a leaky gut?  I suppose to some degree I probably do.  I've been using and abusing white flour products for a long time.  Presently, I don't want a visual of my potentially leaky gut; instead, I'll just work on taking steps to start eating more "gut friendly."  So, a friend of mine turned me on to "bone broth."  Research it and you'll find it synonymous with: "gut healing super food."  It is, in my interpretation, the hallmark of the GAPS diet.  I've got a pot of beef bones, onions, celery, salt and pepper and apple cider vinegar simmering right now.  The house smells "comfort foody" good, and I'm almost convinced that bone broth vapors permeating through the house provide healing properties all of their own, "calming beef bone broth" (if it could be bottled as an essential oil it might be named that).   Bone broth is "bad" (bad as in really cool and good), and like most things that are, in recent years, being hailed as really good for us to eat, it is simple and basic and completely common sense.  A "whole food," that is just naturally loaded with so many things that our bodies need.   I now, formally, pledge to add bone broth to my journey's regime.   Step 3 -- I will keep bone broth on hand 90% of the time (have to give myself a little flexibility here... life happens), using it as a supplement and a snack, and I will wear a t-shirt that reads, "Bad to the Bone: love animals and DRINK them"--- to promote consumption of bone broth!

No comments:

Post a Comment